Well, not exactly – but it did reinforce to over a billion people what the word ‘Smaht’ really means! Among all of the commercials in the 2020 Superbowl, I think that the Hyundai Sonata ad was one of the best and bears multiple viewings!
Other spots that really stood out were:
- Rocket Mortgage: The visual effects of Jason Mamoa taking off his ‘prosthetics’ was hilarious. But it didn’t resonate and help remember the brand.
- Google: Their ‘Loretta’ ad was very touching and showed how the platform understands the many ways people of all generations can interact with it.
- Jeep: How cool is it to have Bill Murray and Stephen Tobolowsky recreate their Groundhog Day roles in a commercial on Groundhog Day during the Superbowl? Plus the Jeep looked pretty good too.
- Walmart: I have no love for the company, but the ad agency that created this spot had all the right cuts and sci-fi movie tropes. Best one was young and old Bill from Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure.
- Reese’s Take 5: Pretty tame ad up until the last cliche’ – some thought it rude, but it was pretty funny.
- Tide Pods: The running gag throughout was funny at first and kudos for all the other product tie-ins but got a little long. Loved the pay-off at the end.